Hi again! Today I’m excited to share the details of my handmade Journal52.
I usually hand bind my own writing journals and art journals, so when I read about Journal52, I knew I’d make my own. I think I’m starting to “find my groove” with bookbinding, and prefer long stitch on a duct/Duck tape spine, but I also try different things a lot.
This time I decided to go with a 5-hole pamphlet stitch, or at least the variation thereof that happened when I read this tutorial and later attempted it while not sitting in front of said tutorial. I used cardstock, cut into what was called “quarter sized” when I made zines–I guess 4.25″ x 5.5″ folded. I decided to try a fabric cover usings some old t-shirt material that I liked with the spine area reinforced with denim (mostly not visible, except in the between-signature spreads).
I don’t use fabric covering too often, and obviously a jersey knit is going to be stretchier than a weave, so the lines ended up looking a little wonky. I like a little wonky. It’s my blessing & my curse.
My preferred closure is a long ribbon/braid/strand of thread wrapped around a button on the front. This one is sparkly & pink.
I appliqued a strip of fabric from another long lost shirt of mine, a beloved 70’s polyester print. I used an embroidery stitch I invented myself, called “I tried to figure out herringbone stitch as I went along, and ended up with a ragged barbed wire-type thing”. I like it. See: a little bit of wonkiness above.
And somewhere in the process I did a spread on the endpapers, announcing the project to come, collage & watercolor & boookbinding notes.
Any readers who bind their own books, please share your favorite links! Or your own bookbinding adventures, of course!