Matching art journals, part 2

Last time I showed the inside of my first attempts at making art journals with sewn pages. This time I can reveal more about how they came out (and hopefully they’ve reached their destination by now)!

IMG_7203[1]

 

For the cover of mine, I used nothing more venerable than a tissue box with a pattern that I liked, reinforced with the cover of the pad of watercolor paper I used on the inside. For my friend’s, I worked a little harder, covering cardboard with a really nice repurposed wrapping paper.  And again, I added a button with some embroidery thread to wrap around it, because done properly, a collaged & painted & played-in art journal gets fat & puffy & juicy and might need a closure to keep it together!

 

 

IMG_7204[1]

I used longstitch, my favorite before I figured out pamphlet stitch a little better.  The spines are made of duct tape, which is flexible & that’s kind of nice, but really, it’s because it’s so easy. I haven’t figured out a glued spine that I like yet.

IMG_7207[1]

 

I decorated the spine of hers with a friendship bracelet.  I kept mine plain for now, but I’ve also decorated my spines with more paint, or paper beads, or even little feathers I collect. We’ll see where this one goes.

IMG_7206[1]

You can see the different types of paper nicely in this shot. You might also be able to squint & see that with my friend’s journal, I tried to round the corners of the pages. I didn’t bother with mine.

 

IMG_7205[1]

Glamor shot! And now they’re completely out into the world. Huzzah!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s